Rachael Dunlop, PhD
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Rachael Dunlop, PhD, is a prominent campaigner for science-based medicine in Australia, with a special interest in the anti-vaccination movement and lobby in that country. She has an undergraduate degree from the University of South Australia and an honours degree from the Department of Experimental Pharmacology and Toxicology of Adelaide University. She was awarded a PhD in 2005 from Sydney University Medical School and now works as a medical researcher at the Heart Research Institute, Sydney, Australia, in aging disorders and motor neurone disease/ALS.
Dr Dunlop was a reporter for The Skeptic Zone Podcast where she presented a popular segment called “Dr Rachie Reports” which dissects pseudoscience and spurious claims. Her blog, the Skeptics Book of Pooh Pooh covers many topics surrounding this, as well as other science and health related issues. A committee member of the Australian Skeptics, she writes for their website and helps organize meeting for the Sydney Skeptics.
A member of Mystery Investigators with Richard Saunders, Dr Dunlop enjoys teaching science to children by investigating the strange and mysterious. This interactive show visits primary and high schools and regularly contributes to National Science Week in Australia including The Family Science Fun Day and Science in the City. An ex-graphic designer, she enjoys combining her love of science and art as a science communicator.
- "National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine-funded randomised controlled trials of acupuncture: a systematic review," (with J Snyder and E Ernst), Focus on Alternative and Complementary Therapies, 2012 Mar; 17(1):15-21. [DOI] [Abstract]
- “Misleading claims about vaccination putting Australian lives at risk,”The Sceptics’ Book of Pooh Pooh, 2010 Aug 2.
- “The Australian Medical Association issues a warning about the AVN,” The Sceptics’ Book of Pooh Pooh, 2010 Aug 2.
- “Homeopathy: nothing in it,” The Punch, 2010 Apr 15.
- “Shenanigans, subterfuge and the Shorty Awards,” The Sceptics’ Book of Pooh Pooh, 2010 Mar 5.
- “A giant leap in logic from a piece of bad science,” The Sceptics’ Book of Pooh Pooh, 2010 Feb 14.
- “A tale of blue green algae, attacking birds, Hollywood and dementia,” The Skeptic Zoners, 2010 Jan 8.
- “Homeopathy gets a smackdown,” The Skeptic Zoners, 2009 Jun 18.
- “Regulating the unregulated, a code of conduct for quacks,” The Skeptic Zoners, April 20, 2009.
- “Miracle patches that cure everything, or do they…?” The Skeptic Zoners, March 14, 2009.
- “Snuffing out ear candles,” The Skeptic Zoners, 2009 Jan 31.
Watch Rachael Dunlop:
- On The Drum, 10 Jan 2011
- “Richard Saunders and Dr Rachael Dunlop,” Skeptics on Saturday with Glen Wheeler, 2010 Jun 11.
- “Dr Krissy Wilson and Dr Rachael Dunlop,” Skeptics on Saturday with Glen Wheeler, 2010 Mar 27.
- “Conversations with Richard Fidler,” ABC Radio, 2010 Mar 9.
- “The Skeptical Scientist, Dr Rachael Dunlop,” Skeptically Speaking, Podcast #45, 2010 Feb 5.
- February 24, 2011: The Battle of Big Thinking, Australia.
The Online Rachael Dunlop: